Arrived on Sodor
In Adventures on Rails, he was built throughout 1913 and completed on January 1914 at Brighton Works. He worked at Southampton Docks for about a year before being bought by the Fat Controller in May 1915 to help on the newly formed North Western Railway on the Island of Sodor.
He worked as a station pilot at Vicarstown until 1923 when he rescued James after a nasty accident, and was then given his own branch line, and two coaches whom he named Annie and Clarabel. He has had a number of strange incidents such as, needing to get water from a river but resulting to have fish in them, leaving his Guard behind after he tripped on an old lady's umbrella, crashing into a stationmaster's house whilst they were having breakfast, and getting into trouble with a policeman on the Quarry Tramroad for not having cowcatchers and side-plates. Despite this, he has proven on a number of occasions he is still very useful, such as stopping some theives who robbed the Ffarquhar stationmaster, being the representative of the North Western Railway at the National Railway Museum, and rescuing a swan stranded on the line.
Thomas is rather cheeky, but is good at heart and generally behaves well, except when he is getting into mishap. He loves teasing the others and, on occasion, brags about his superiority, but is always brought down to earth in due course. If Thomas has one major character flaw, it is that he is forgetful, and slightly impatient. However, he is also optimistic and idealistic.
Thomas is based off the LB&SCR E2 with extended side tanks.
Thomas is painted NWR blue with red lining and a yellow '1' on his tanks with a red border.
In Adventures on Rails, prior to arriving on Sodor, he was painted LB&SCR black and the number 104 on his cab and "LB&SCR" on his tanks.
Thomas is a major antagonist.
- “I see you in the distance”
- ”You can run, but you can’t hide from me”
- “I know where you are”
- ”You better start running soon!”
- ”As Sir Topham Hatt says, I’m a really useful engine“
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Toby the Tram Engine, Old Iron, Nix the Loaned Engine, Edward Returns (cameo), and Duck the Great Western Engine (mentioned)
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again (does not speak), David's Restoration, Bowled Out (cameo), Percy's Important Job (mentioned), and Freedom at Last!
- Season 13 - Tenders for Henry (cameo), Enterprising Engines Part 2, New Friends, Old Enemies (does not speak), and Paxton and Norman
- Season 14 - Gordon Takes a Tumble, Dirty Tricks (mentioned), Something Fishy and Ghost Train
- Season 15 - The Strawberry Special, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree, and The Fireworks Display
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche (cameo), Edward and Rocky (does not speak), New Challenges (does not speak), Thomas and the Great Railway Show Part 1, Thomas and the Great Railway Show Part 2 and Faithful Coaches.
- Season 17 - Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 1, The Three Little Engines Part 2 (mentioned), The Three Little Engines Part 3 (non-speaking role), The Football Special (cameo), The Drought (non-speaking role), Best Dressed Engine, and Three Cheers for Thomas!
- Season 18 - Thomas and the Hurricane, Percy's Big Mistake and Thomas, Percy and the Mail Train.
- Season 19 - Most Beautiful Station, Flying Objects, and Stepney's Visit.
- Season 20 - Percy and the Storm, Diesel Dream, Terence Takes a Swim and Ceremonium.
- James and Percy
- The Legend of the Ghost Train
- The End of the North Western Railway
- The Escape Plan
- The Hurricane
- Thomas and the Avalanche
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Very Famous Engines
- That's What Friends Are for
- Work and Play
- Best Engines Ever
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Old and New, Warm Coaches, Saving Edward, The Trouble with the Enthusiasts, The Monster of Brendam (does not speak), Down at the Station, Christmas with Friends, and Thomas's Snowplough.
- Volume two - The Trouble with Sheep, Quarantine (mentioned), Snow Rescue, Edward's Brass Band, Quarantine at Ffarquhar, Thomas and the Lighthouse, Percy and the Left Luggage.
- Season 1 - Races, Where's BoCo?, The Wrong Way (mentioned), Streamlined Engines (mentioned), Thomas' Special Coach, Oldies But Goldies, Memory Loss (cameo), and The Christmas Tree
- Season 2 - Runaway Coaches, The Early Whirlybird (mentioned), Max, Monty and the Bull, Gordon and the Sharp Bend (cameo), Hiro and the Express, Independence, Diesel Day, and Bluebells Forever
- Season 3 - Percy and the Diesels, Old Slow Coach, Mr. Jones, Bertie and the Fog, The Ghost on the Viaduct (cameo), Cold Chaos, and Luke and the Christmas Party
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy, Flora and the Troublesome Coach, The Runaway Koby, Polar Opposites, The Wrong Sort of Coal, James and Flynn, and George Strikes Again
- Season 5 - Sodor Snowstorm, Nigel, Bumble Bucket, Culdee and the Enthusiasts (cameo), and Stanley's Branch Line
- Season 6 - The New Diesel Fuel, Percy and the Grass Snakes (does not speak), James Pulls the Royal Train, and Edward and the Express
- Season 7 - Young and Old, Toby's Snowplough, and Thomas and Toad
He will also appear in Vinnie the Bully.
- Thomas and Percy
- Gordon and Spencer: An LNER Rivalry
- Thomas and the Ghost Engine
- The Curse of the Flying Kipper
- Sodor and the Meaning of Christmas
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Double Diesel Trouble, A Bad Day for James, Duncan in Love (cameo), James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, One of the Family (does not speak), Bertie Rides the Rails, Toby Gets Tough, A Friend in Ferdinand, Terence, Max and Monty, Franklin the Forklift, and Franklin All Around Sodor
- Season 2 - BoCo’s Boxcab Bother, Bill and Ben's Big Mistake (does not speak), Rosie Takes Over, Daisy Does it All (cameo), Henry Knows Best, Arthur's New Route, Clean vs. Dirty (mentioned), Edward’s Escapade (cameo), Second Rate Engines, The Search for Neil (mentioned), Mother Mavis, Harold in Space (cameo), Diesel's Good Deed, and True or False? (mentioned)
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout, Thunder Strikes, True Blue, and A Cousin's "Love" (cameo)
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, Double Trouble (mentioned), Hank's Hero (cameo), Two Old Men (cameo), James and Daisy, No Funny Business (cameo), Alaric’s Secret (cameo), and Interrogation
Stories From Sodor
- Season 1 - Emily to the Rescue (cameo), Saving Benjamin, Back In Service, Insignificant, Murdoch and Neville
- Specials - The Search for the Controllers