In Adventures on Rails, it was opened in 1915 when Thomas arrived on the Island. It since then has increased in production, such as the acquistion of Victor, a narrow-guage tank engine who helps to move parts and help keep things running, and Kevin a crane who moves parts around.
The site of the Steamworks consists of:
- Transfer table with dual gauge tracks
- Forge with a steam hammer
- Boiler Shop
- Machinery Area with lathes
- Painting Area
- Hot-Air Blowers
- Locomotive Hoist
- Inspection Pit
- Assembly Area with standard gauge and narrow gauge railway lines
- Storage Shed outside the Steamworks for Kevin and Victor to sleep at night
- Coal hopper on the side of the building
- The Skarloey Railway runs from the Steamworks.
- In Adventures on Rails, it is referred to as the Crovan's Gate Steamworks.