The present passenger station, Knapford Junction, is the third one built in the town, and was built in 1956 when the harbour development scheme was launched due to congestion at Tidmouth Docks. The station serves as the junction of the Main Line and Thomas' Branch Line. There is also a freight-only station at Knapford Harbour, where Percy went to sea after asking his trucks to push him past a warning board and where Bulstrode nearly drowned in a nasty accident with some stone trucks.
The harbour line from Elsbridge to Knapford was opened in 1885 and used horse-pulled wagons. In 1905, A. W. Dry and Co. extended the line to Tidmouth with a road-side tramway using "Coffee Pots" engines. Although the line was destroyed by a gale three years later, the "coffee-pot" engines remained, even after the formation of the North Western Railway.
In 1912, the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Railway joined with the Wellsworth and Suddery Railway and a connecting line was built from Knapford to Crosby. When the North Western Railway opened, a bay platform was opened at Knapford for the line to Elsbridge.
The lead mines at Toryreck closed in 1930, but opportunities of stone traffic from Ffarquhar opened and the line to Elsbridge was extended. In 1956, the improvement scheme of the harbour at Knapford was started, the branch was rebuilt on an easier gradient and the stations were moved north of the river. The first line is now used for goods.
Knapford is useful as a harbour, but not ideal, which is why the Arlesburgh branch was reopened in 1966.
The Knapford station is the fourth one, built in the town in 1984. It has two platforms, a glass roof, and about eight trains a day.
Several maps show the main line terminating at the junction, though some books mention that the terminus is Tidmouth. What's more, Knapford appears to be the larger than Tidmouth, whereas the Reverend W. Awdry stated in The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways that it is smaller than Tidmouth.
The name comes from the parish of Knapwell, where the Reverend W. Awdry was vicar.
Knapford is the "big station" in the television series. It has a large canopy. The station has six tracks total, four being through tracks and two being terminal tracks. Knapford has a refreshment kiosk, the Engine Drivers locker room, M.C. BUNN and a bookstall. At one point, the bookstall was temporarily replaced by a toy shop. In the eighteenth season, the station is given a new track layout.
In Adventures on Rails, it is the terminus for Thomas' Branch Line, and junction for the Main Line. It has four platforms, M.C. BUNN is located here, and a bookstall.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 1 - Thomas' Birthday and Edward the 4-4-2
- Season 3 - Station Trouble and Thomas' Bad Day
- Season 4 - A Thanksgiving Celebration, Coaches and Passengers, Promises for Percy, Henry and the Snow, Emily, Gordon, and the Coaches, and Time is Time
- Season 6 - The Oily Rails and Thomas and the Spring-Time Party
- Season 9 - Gordon's Brother, The Case of the Missing Tankers, and Gordon's Double Chimney
- Season 10 - Christmas Eve Crisis and New Year Problems
- Season 12 - Percy's Important Job
- Season 14 - Nix and the Flying Kipper, Dirty Tricks, and Ghost Train
- Season 15 - Percy and the Brake Van
- Season 16 - Faithful Coaches
- Season 17 - Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 1, The Three Little Engines Part 2, The Drought (mentioned), and Three Cheers for Thomas!
- Season 18 - Thomas and the Hurricane and Disappearing Diesels
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Flying Objects, and Stepney's Visit
- Season 20 - Percy and the Storm, Diesel Dream, and Ceremonium
- Thomas vs. Stanley
- Percy and Kevin's Adventure
- Saving Donald
- The Case of the Missing Engines
- James and Percy
- The Legend of the Ghost Train
- The End of the North Western Railway
- The Hurricane
- Thomas and the Avalanche
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Saving the Mountain Engines
- Very Famous Engines
- That's What Friends Are for
- Work and Play
- Best Engines Ever
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume 1 - Signals Crossed, Old and New, Warm Coaches, The Fire, Saving Edward (mentioned), The Monster of Brendam, Jessie and the Frozen Points, Christmas with Friends, and Thomas's Snowplough
- Volume 2 - Taking Toby to the Works, New Livery, Percy and the Mud, Trevor's Visit, and The Trouble with Sheep
The Engines of Sodor
- Season 1 - Emily's New Coaches, Gordon and Spencer (mentioned), Rosie and Thomas, Emily's Rubbish, Hiro of the Rails, and Charlie and Thomas (E17)
- Season 1 - Races, Harvey Goes Fishing, Oliver and the Snowstorm, Be On Your Guard!, Oldies But Goldies, and Dave the Diesel
- Season 2 - Runaway Coaches, Quack!, Molly and the Mountain Engines, Gordon and the Sharp Bend, The Importance of Being Neville, and Independence
- Season 3 - Old Slow Coach (episode), Homesickness, CoBo, Pompous Popularity, Cold Chaos, and Luke and the Christmas Party
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy, Flora and the Troublesome Coach, The Runaway Koby, It's Not Easy Being Green, Famous Engines, Polar Opposites, The Wrong Sort of Coal, Broken Down Crane, and George Strikes Again
- Season 5 - Sodor Snowstorm, Butch's Snow Rescue, The Big City Engine, Percy and the Problem with James, Silver Steam, Stanley's Branch Line, and Samson and Logan
- Season 6 - The New Diesel Fuel, Percy and the Grass Snakes, Paxton's Christmas Surprise, James Pulls the Royal Train, and Edward and the Express
- Season 7 - Toby's Snowplough and Brothers and Cousins
- Thomas and Percy
- Gordon and Spencer: An LNER Rivalry
- Thomas and the Ghost Engine
- The Curse of the Flying Kipper
- Sodor and the Meaning of Christmas
The Adventures on Sodor
- Season 1 - Geoffrey's Real, The Lost Breakdown Train (flashback), Henry the Warrior, Gordon, Spencer and the Flying Scotsman, and Tinsel on the Tracks
- Season 2 - Disappearing Diesels, Unique Engines, Haunted Henry's Forest, Fire at Ffarquhar (mentioned), The New Controller, Jealous James, and Sidney Gets Lost
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Paxton Gets Pranked, Duncan in Love, Daisy the Green-Eyed Railcar, James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, The Joke's on Them, One of the Family, Bertie Rides the Rails, Toby Gets Tough, A Friend in Ferdinand, and Franklin the Forklift
- Season 2 - BoCo’s Boxcab Bother, Bill and Ben's Big Mistake, Rosie Takes Over, Daisy Does it All, Arthur's New Route, and Second Rate Engines
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout, Thunder Strikes, and Hard Hatt
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, Two Old Men, No Funny Business, BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 1, Alyssa (episode), and Interrogation
Stories from Sodor
- Season 1 - Emily to the Rescue, Rosie, Jacob, Sierra, and the Troublesome Trucks, Back In Service, and Insignificant