James is a medium sized mixed-traffic engine who works on the North Western Railway.
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Class 28
Arrived on Sodor
James was built around 1912/13 for mixed-traffic work as a 0-6-0 with a three-chime steam whistle. Prior to his arrival on Sodor in 1923, he was given a pony truck making him a 2-6-0 instead of his original 0-6-0 configuration and a regular steam whistle. On his first day, his trucks and his old wooden brakes caused him to derail. After that, he was given red paint and proper brakes. However, he caused trouble for the Fat Controller when he sprayed his shiny new hat. He was threatened to be repainted blue, and became very cross, and bumped the coaches so hard, he caused a hole in one of them, which needed to be repaired by a bootlace! After that, he came much more sensible, and redeemed himself when he took a line of troublesome trucks by himself, and the Express, after Gordon got sent down the wrong line by "instincts". James is usually kept busy pulling trucks and coaches on the Main Line. He also seems to carry on a rivalry with Percy, which is seen a lot of the times they are together.
James is based on a Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Class 28.
In Adventures on Rails, James is painted NWR red with blue and gold lining. He has a yellow '5' with a black border on his tender. His blue lining was previously black before 1959. Before coming to Sodor he was painted black with red lining.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Toby the Tram Engine (cameo), Dirty Objects, Old Iron, Nix the Loaned Engine, The Unstoppable Nix, Nix and the Troublesome Boys, Night Engine (cameo), Edward Returns and Duck the Great Western Engine.
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again, David's Restoration, Bowled Out, Dirty Percy, Freedom at Last! (cameo) and Clever Thinking.
- Season 13 - Edward's Exploit, Tenders for Henry, Enterprising Engines Part 1, Enterprising Engines Part 2 (cameo), Resource and Sagacity, New Friends, Old Enemies and Paxton and Norman.
- Season 14 - James and Paxton, Edward to the Rescue, Nix and the Flying Kipper, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Dirty Tricks and Something Fishy (non-speaking role).
- Season 15 - Donald and the Lost Tarpaulin, Donald and the Breakaways, Points of No Return, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree and The Fireworks Display.
- Season 16 - Den and Dart, Dodger and the Avalanche, Dodger's New Routine, Edward and Rocky, Thomas and the Great Railway Show Part 1, Faithful Coaches and Henry and the Express.
- Season 17- Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 2, The Three Little Engines Part 3, The Football Special, Wildfire, The Drought, and Best Dressed Engine.
- Season 18 - Night Bombing, Thomas and the Hurricane, Percy's Big Mistake, James and Percy, Percy and James' Accident and James Goes Foreign.
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Most Beautiful Station, Diesel Shunters, Middle Engines and Stepney's Visit.
- Season 20 - Twin Trouble, Den and Dart Save the Day, The Special Delivery, Sir Topham Hatt's Birthday Present, Underappreciated, Percy and the Storm, An Ordinary Day on Edward's Branch Line, Diesel Dream and Ceremonium.
- James and Percy
- The End of the North Western Railway
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Saving the Mountain Engines
- Very Famous Engines (mentioned)
- That's What Friends Are for
- Work and Play
- Home Sweet Home
- Best Engines Ever
- You Lucky Engine
- Visiting Engines
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Dirty Sidings, Tenderfirst, Signals Crossed, Garage Sale, The Fire, Record Breaker, Nose-diving, Coal Strike, Motivation, Behind the Gate, Jessie and the Frozen Points, Emily and Molly, and Thomas's Snowplough.
- Volume two - Taking Toby to the Works, Gordon's Last Run, New Livery, Easter at Harwick, Cliffhanger, Gordon's Buffers, Barrier Wagons, Quarantine, Quarantine at Ffarquhar, Percy and the Left Luggage, Duck, Henry and the Tenders, Molly's Idea, Emily's New Route and Christmas Help.
- Volume three - James and the Pipes, The Goods Train, Banker Engine, Edward and Jenna, Pilot Engines, Help Wanted, Thomas in Charge, James and the Tar Wagons, Jessie and the Coaches, The Queue, Station Closing, Responsibilities.
Sodor Adventure Rewrites
- Season 1 - James Strikes Out
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Double Diesel Trouble (cameo), A Bad Day for James, Paxton Gets Pranked (cameo), Duncan in Love, Daisy the Green-Eyed Railcar (cameo), James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, The Joke's on Them, One of the Family (cameo), Bertie Rides the Rails, Brake Van Bother (does not speak), Toby Gets Tough (cameo), A Friend in Ferdinand (cameo), Terence, Max and Monty (cameo), Luke's Lucky Find (cameo), and Franklin the Forklift
- Season 2 - BoCo’s Boxcab Bother, Bill and Ben's Big Mistake (cameo), Rosie Takes Over (does not speak), Henry Knows Best, Arthur's New Route (cameo), Clean vs. Dirty, Edward’s Escapade (cameo), Second Rate Engines, Harold in Space (cameo), Diesel's Good Deed (not named; does not speak), Paint the Town Red, and All for Thomas (cameo)
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout, Thunder Strikes (cameo), Hard Hatt, and A Cousin's "Love" (does not speak)
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption (cameo), Two Old Men, James and Daisy, Artistic Spirit (cameo), Alaric’s Secret (cameo), and Interrogation
- Season 1 - Gordon the Tanker, Duck in the Water Again (mentioned), Ask Cranky Day, Molly and Rebecca (does not speak), Bad Luck Emily (does not speak), Diesel and the Duck Engine (cameo), and Percy's Mail Problems (does not speak)
- Season 2 - New Year, New Millie, Double Crane Trouble (does not speak), A New Diesel (cameo), Diesel of Change, Famous Little Engine, Philip Gets Lost, and Red for Rosie
- Specials - Attack of the Philips
Thomas And Friends: Bizarre Adventures
- Season 1 - Rosie Is Red, James Is Blue
PH's Railway Videos series 1
He will appear in More Episodes