Henry is a green mixed-traffic engine who works on the Main Line.
Henry was built by stolen plans by Sir Nigel Gresley which resulted in a mix of a A3 'Pacific' and a C1 'Atlantic' engine. He was sold in 1919 to the Fat Director who was desperate for an engine at the time. In 1922, he stalled in Ballahoo Tunnels claiming the rain would spoil his "lovely green paint with red stripes", and refused to come out despite various failed attempts to get him out. He was let out after Gordon broke down with Express, and Edward couldn't pull the train himself. He was repainted blue for a time, until he along with Gordon and James went on strike due to their recent mishaps.
His poor condition continued until he was given Welsh coal. However, in the winter of 1935, he crashed into a goods train at Killdane, and was sent to be rebuilt at Crewe into a LMS Black Five. He also became an 'Enterprising' engine after rescuing D199's train and the 'Limited' pulled by Bear.
He now works on the Main Line, as a much more sensible engine, though he seems to carry a rivarly with James. He usually works goods or stopping passenger trains, and if Gordon is away, he usually pulls the Express.
Henry is generally well-behaved, but he is occasionally arrogant and vain. Henry is at heart a hard worker, but his frequent bouts of illness hinder his work. Henry is also a nature-lover.
He is painted NWR green with red lining and a yellow number '3' on his tender.
Henry inhabits The Ironworks at Night.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Old Iron (cameo), Nix the Loaned Engine, The Unstoppable Nix (cameo), Nix and the Troublesome Boys, Night Engine, Edward Returns, and Duck the Great Western Engine
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again, David's Restoration (does not speak), Bowled Out, Dirty Percy, and Freedom at Last! (cameo),
- Season 13 - Edward's Exploit, Tenders for Henry, Enterprising Engines (Part 1, Part 2 (cameo)), Resource and Sagacity, New Friends, Old Enemies, and Paxton and Norman
- Season 14 - James and Paxton, Edward to the Rescue, Nix and the Flying Kipper, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Dirty Tricks, and Something Fishy
- Season 15 - Percy and the Brake Van, Donald and the Lost Tarpulin (mentioned), Points of No Return, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree, and The Fireworks Display
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche (cameo), Dodger's New Routine, Thomas and the Great Railway Show (Part 1 only), Faithful Coaches (non-speaking role) and Henry and the Express.
- Season 17 - The Three Little Engines (Part 1 (non-speaking role), Part 2, Part 3), The Football Special, Wildfire, The Drought, Best Dressed Engine, and Three Cheers for Thomas! (cameo)
- Season 18 - Night Bombing, Thomas and the Hurricane, Percy's Big Mistake, James and Percy and Percy and James' Accident.
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Hard Work, Diesel Shunters, Middle Engines and Stepney's Visit (non-speaking role)
- Season 20 - The Special Delivery, Rescue Engine, An Ordinary Day on Edward's Branch Line, Diesel Dream, and Ceremonium.
- James and Percy
- The End of the North Western Railway
- The Escape Plan
- The Hurricane
- Thomas and the Avalanche
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Saving the Mountain Engines
- Very Famous Engines (mentioned)
- That's What Friends Are for
- Work and Play
- Home Sweet Home
- Best Engines Ever
- You Lucky Engine
- Visiting Engines
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Tenderfirst, The Fire, Saving Edward, Nose-diving, The Trouble with the Enthusiasts, Motivation, Behind the Gate, Emily and Molly, and Thomas's Snowplough.
- Volume two - Taking Toby to the Works, New Livery, Gordon's Buffers, Quarantine, Snow Rescue (mentioned), Percy and the Left Luggage (mentioned), Duck, Henry and the Tenders, and Christmas Help.
- Volume three - James and the Pipes, Banker Engine, Edward and Jenna, Pilot Engines, Help Wanted, James and the Tar Wagons, The Queue, Station Closing, Molly and the Empty Trucks, A Bad Lot of Coal, Edward, James, and the Snow, and The Christmas Wall.
- Volume four - As the Deer Longs, The Waiting, Toby and the Whistling Woods (mentioned), Edward and the Special Train, Thomas and the Storyteller, Mark of Distinction, Market Day (mentioned), Percy's New Dome, Special Holiday.
Sodor Adventure Rewrites
- Season 1 - James Strikes Out
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Double Diesel Trouble (cameo), A Bad Day for James (does not speak), Paxton Gets Pranked (cameo), James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, The Joke's on Them, One of the Family (cameo), Bertie Rides the Rails (does not speak), Toby Gets Tough, A Friend in Ferdinand, Terence, Max and Monty (cameo), Luke's Lucky Find (cameo), Franklin the Forklift, and Franklin All Around Sodor (cameo)
- Season 2 - BoCo’s Boxcab Bother (cameo), Rosie Takes Over, Henry Knows Best, Arthur's New Route (does not speak), Edward’s Escapade (cameo), Second Rate Engines, The Search for Neil (cameo; flashback), Diesel's Good Deed (not named; does not speak), True or False? (cameo), Paint the Town Red, and All for Thomas (cameo)
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout, True Blue (does not speak), Hard Hatt (does not speak), and A Cousin's "Love"
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, The Cursed Brake Van (cameo), Two Old Men, James and Daisy, BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 1 (cameo), BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 2 (does not speak), Artistic Spirit (cameo), Alaric’s Secret (cameo), and Interrogation
Stories From Sodor
- Season 1 - Gordon the Tanker (fantasy), Ask Cranky Day (cameo), Molly and Rebecca (does not speak), and Bad Luck Emily (cameo)
- Season 2 - Diesel of Change and Famous Little Engine (cameo)
- Season 3 - Diesel 10 is Back! (cameo)
- Specials - Attack of the Philips