Gordon is a big, blue, fast Express engine who usually pulls the Wild Nor Wester.
Arrived on Sodor
Sir Nigel Gresley
Experimental A1, 'A0'
He was designed by Sir Nigel Gresley as his experimental A1 'Pacific', referred to as the A0. He was built at Doncaster Works in 1922, and ran test trials on the Great Northern Railway. Gresley then opened him up to sale for a trial. The Fat Controller quickly bought him and he was successful enough on the North Western Railway, to become an official member.
Over the years, he has caused trouble for the Fat Controller, such as falling into a ditch, going on strike with James and Henry, bursting safety values, and more. However, he is still a reliable engine who takes great pride in being the fastest engine on the Island.
He is usually found pulling the Express on the Main Line.
Gordon's important position as the engine who usually pulls the Express has made him proud, pompous and arrogant, with good reason too; he is the strongest engine on Sodor. Gordon's philosophy "tender engines don't shunt" meant that he looked down on tank engines and tender engines who do shunt, but after being locked in the shed with Henry and James after going on strike, he seems to have abandoned this philosophy.
Because of his rank in the social order of the North Western Railway, Gordon expects to get the important jobs and either sulks when he does not, or gets jealous of those who do. Sometimes, Gordon acts as a bully, particularly towards Edward, but following misadventures where Edward had to help him, Gordon had to acknowledge that despite being old, Edward is still a very useful engine.
Sometimes Gordon shows a kinder side and gives the younger engines advice, usually after he has had some mishap as a result of his foolhardiness. Some of his advice is not exactly honest, though as James and Sir Handel have found out.
Gordon is the experimental A1, referred to as the A0 'Pacific'.
Gordon is painted NWR blue with red lining, a yellow '4' on his tender with a red border, and black rectangular buffers.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Old Iron (cameo), Nix the Loaned Engine, The Unstoppable Nix (cameo), Nix and the Troublesome Boys, Night Engine (does not speak), Edward Returns, and Duck the Great Western Engine.
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again, David's Restoration (does not speak), Bowled Out, Dirty Percy, and Freedom at Last! (mentioned).
- Season 13 - Edward's Exploit, Tenders for Henry, Enterprising Engines Part 1, Resource and Sagacity, New Friends, Old Enemies, and Paxton and Norman.
- Season 14 - James and Paxton, Edward to the Rescue (does not speak), Nix and the Flying Kipper, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Dirty Tricks, and Something Fishy (does not speak).
- Season 15 - Points of No Return, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree, and The Fireworks Display.
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche (cameo), Dodger's New Routine, Edward and Rocky, Thomas and the Great Railway Show Part 1 and Henry and the Express.
- Season 17 - Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 3, The Football Special, Wildfire, The Drought (cameo), Best Dressed Engine, and Three Cheers for Thomas! (cameo).
- Season 18 - Night Bombing, Percy's Big Mistake, James and Percy and James Goes Foreign (non-speaking role).
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Most Beautiful Station, Diesel Shunters, Middle Engines and Stepney's Visit.
- Season 20 - The Special Delivery, Sir Topham Hatt's Birthday Present, Underappreciated, An Ordinary Day on Edward's Branch Line and Ceremonium.
- Percy and Old Slow Coach
- Thomas vs. Stanley
- Percy and Kevin's Adventure
- Saving Donald
- Nix's Determination
- The End of Sodor
- James and Percy
- The End of the North Western Railway
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Saving the Mountain Engines
- Very Famous Engines
- That's What Friends Are for
- Home Sweet Home
- Best Engines Ever
- You Lucky Engine
- Visiting Engines
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Tenderfirst, Signals Crossed (does not speak), Stuck in the Snow, Garage Sale (mentioned), The Fire, Saving Edward, Nose-diving, The Monster of Brendam, Jessie and the Frozen Points, Emily and Molly, and Thomas's Snowplough.
- Volume two - Taking Toby to the Works, Gordon's Last Run, Gordon's Buffers, Quarantine, Duck, Henry and the Tenders, Emily's New Route and Christmas Help.
- volume three - James and the Pipes (mentioned). The Goods Train (mentioned), Banker Engine, Edward and Jenna (does not speak), Pilot Engines, Help Wanted, The Milk and the Post, James and the Tar Wagons, The Queue, Station Closing, Responsibilities.
Sodor Adventure Rewrites
- Season 1 - James Strikes Out
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - A Bad Day for James (does not speak), Duncan in Love (cameo), James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, The Joke's on Them, One of the Family, Bertie Rides the Rails, Brake Van Bother (does not speak), Toby Gets Tough (cameo), A Friend in Ferdinand, Rock 'n' Rolling Again (cameo), Old Engine, New Changes (cameo), and Franklin All Around Sodor (cameo)
- Season 2 - BoCo's Return (mentioned), BoCo’s Boxcab Bother, Bill and Ben's Big Mistake, Rosie Takes Over (cameo), Henry Knows Best, Edward’s Escapade, Second Rate Engines, The Search for Neil (cameo; flashback), Diesel's Good Deed (not named; does not speak), Slow and Steady (indirectly mentioned), Paint the Town Red (does not speak), and All for Thomas (cameo)
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout (does not speak), True Blue, Hard Hatt, and A Cousin's "Love"
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, Hank's Hero (cameo), Two Old Men, James and Daisy (cameo), Crane Chaos (mentioned), BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 1 (mentioned), BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 2 (mentioned), Gone Hunting (cameo), Alaric’s Secret (cameo), and Interrogation
- Season 1- Gordon the Tanker, Ask Cranky Day, Molly and Rebecca, and Bad Luck Emily (does not speak)
- Season 2 - New Year, New Millie (cameo), A New Diesel (cameo), Diesel of Change, Famous Little Engine (cameo), Philip Gets Lost (does not speak), and Billy and Charlie
- Specials - Attack of the Philips