Edward is a blue tender engine who works on the Wellsworth-Brendam Branch Line.
Sharp, Stewart and Co.
Arrived on Sodor
Edward was built in 1896, and worked on the Furness Railway before being brought to Sodor in June 1915. He helped build the Wellsworth-Brendam Branch Line, but by 1923, he was no longer needed and shunted into the shed. He was let out again, and soon given the Wellsworth Branch to himself. He came back to the Main Yard (now Tidmouth) after Gordon, Henry, and James refused to shunt their own coaches.
Despite his age, Edward has proven on a number of ocassions, he is still capable of many things. Such examples, would be when some boys meddled with James's controls and he ran away without his Driver or Fireman, and when he brought his train home on one piston.
He is usually kept busy on his Branch Line, but sometimes helps out at Tidmouth.
Edward is kindhearted and always keen to help a friend in need. The small engines trust him to lend a listening ear and sympathetic advice. He is a hard worker too, and always does his best to finish a job.
Sadly, the big engines often see Edward as old-fashioned and slow. While it is true he is the oldest engine on the North Western Railway - it must be noted he helped build it - he has proved time and time again that he is more than capable of working as hard as any engine, but he is a more clever and wiser engine, too.
In the second season of Sudrian Stories, Edward begins to reveal a more nihilistic side that was not frequently seen before. He became a much more stubborn and pessimistic engine after he saved Diesel. Eventually, it was revealed that he really didn’t care much for his life, and was fine with it ending.
He is based on the Furness Railway's 'Larger Seagull' but Crovan's Gate has made modifications to him.
He is painted NWR blue with red lining and a yellow '2' on his tender with a red border. Before coming to Sodor, it is assumed he was painted FR red with yellow lining and the FR logo on his tender.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Old Iron, Nix the Loaned Engine, and Edward Returns.
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again (cameo), David's Restoration, Bowled Out (does not speak), Freedom at Last! (mentioned), and Clever Thinking.
- Season 13 - Diseasel, Edward's Exploit, Tenders for Henry (cameo), Enterprising Engines Part 1 (cameo), and Enterprising Engines Part 2.
- Season 14 - Edward to the Rescue, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Dirty Tricks, and Something Fishy (mentioned).
- Season 15 - Points of No Return, Thomas' Christmas Party, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (does not speak), and The Fireworks Display.
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche (cameo), Dodger's New Routine (mentioned), Edward and Rocky, and Henry and the Express (cameo).
- Season 17 - Sir Topham Hatt's New Car, The Three Little Engines Part 1, The Three Little Engines Part 3, The Football Special (cameo), Wildfire, and Best Dressed Engine (cameo)
- Season 18 - Disappearing Diesels, Percy's Big Mistake (cameo), Percy and James' Accident and James Goes Foreign.
- Season 19 - Rescue Mission, Most Beautiful Station, Diesel Shunters, Middle Engines, and Stepney's Visit.
- Season 20 - Den and Dart Save the Day, It's Great to Be Down By the Seaside!, The Special Delivery, Sir Topham Hatt's Birthday Present, An Ordinary Day on Edward's Branch Line and Ceremonium.
- Percy and Old Slow Coach
- Thomas vs. Stanley
- Percy and Kevin's Adventure
- Saving Donald
- Nix's Determination
- The End of Sodor
- James and Percy
- The End of the North Western Railway
- Thomas, the Really Useful Engine
- James and the Fat Controller
- Saving the Mountain Engines
- Very Famous Engines (mentioned)
- That's What Friends Are for
- Home Sweet Home
- Best Engines Ever
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Dirty Sidings, Tenderfirst, Stuck in the Snow, Old and New (mentioned), Record Breaker, Saving Edward, Nose-diving, The Trouble with the Enthusiasts (mentioned), The Monster of Brendam (mentioned), and Christmas with Friends.
- Volume two - Taking Toby to the Works, Gordon's Last Run, New Livery, Gordon's Buffers, Trevor's Visit, Quarantine, Edward's Brass Band, Molly's Idea, Emily's New Route and Christmas Help.
- Volume three - James and the Pipes, The Back of the Train.
- Season 1 - Races, Where's BoCo?, Improper Engines, The Crashing Kipper, Oldies But Goldies, Butch's Chase (mentioned), Memory Loss, Diesel Domination, and Dave the Diesel
- Season 2 - Forest Fire, Miniature Engines, Gordon and the Sharp Bend, A Happy Day for Alfie, The Importance of Being Neville, Independence, Diesel Day, and Bluebells Forever
- Season 3 - Edward and the Poachers, CoBo, The Ghost on the Viaduct, and Bill, Ben and Derek (does not speak)
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy (mentioned), Banker Banter, The Runaway Koby, Scrap Sculpting, Cows and Whistles, Jason's Lost Friend, The Wrong Sort of Coal, Saved by the Belle, and George Strikes Again (cameo)
- Season 5 - Sodor Snowstorm, Henry Saves the Day, The Big City Engine, Percy and the Problem with James (cameo), James' Search Party,
- Season 6 - The New Diesel Fuel, James Pulls the Royal Train, and Edward and the Express
- Season 7 - Young and Old, Toby's Snowplough (cameo), and Love for the Sea
- Thomas and Percy
- Gordon and Spencer: An LNER Rivalry
- Thomas and the Ghost Engine
- The Curse of the Flying Kipper
- Sodor and the Meaning of Christmas
- Emily to the Rescue (cameo)
- Saving Benjamin (does not speak)
- Rosie, Jacob, Sierra, and the Troublesome Trucks
- Insignificant (does not speak)
- The Search for the Controllers
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Double Diesel Trouble (cameo), A Bad Day for James, Daisy the Green-Eyed Railcar (cameo), James and the Railway Inspector, The "Special" Visitors, The Joke's on Them (cameo), One of the Family (mentioned), Bertie Rides the Rails (cameo), Brake Van Bother, A Friend in Ferdinand (cameo), Franklin the Forklift, and Franklin All Around Sodor
- Season 2 - BoCo's Return (mentioned), BoCo’s Boxcab Bother, Bill and Ben's Big Mistake, Rosie Takes Over (cameo), Henry Knows Best, Edward’s Escapade, Second Rate Engines, The Search for Neil (cameo; flashback), Diesel's Good Deed (does not speak), and True or False?
- Season 1 - Steamie Stakeout, True Blue, Hard Hatt, A Cousin's "Love" (mentioned), and Derek & Marion
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, The Cursed Brake Van (mentioned), Hank's Hero, James and Daisy (cameo), No Funny Business (mentioned), BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 1, BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 2, BoCo and the Branch Line - Part 3, The Lost Spirit (mentioned), Alyssa, Alaric’s Secret, and Interrogation