Duck, previously Montague, is a Great Western tank engine who works on The Little Western.
8, previously 5741
GWR 57xx 0-6-0PT
Charles B. Collett
Arrived on Sodor
Duck worked at Paddington until 1955 when he was brought to Sodor to help with the workload. When Diesel visited the Island, he was made look bad, and sent to Edward's station for a while. However, after an accident, the Fat Controller told him him he could return, and sent Diesel packing. When Diesel returned years later, he was not happy, especially after he caused trouble at the Harbour.
Duck is a Great Western pannier tank engine. His real name is Montague, but he is usually called Duck, which he prefers. This is said to be because he waddles, though he does not really. Duck knows how to hold his own and tends to stand for no nonsense from any engines that might get ideas above their station and try to order him or others about. He likes things to run like clockwork, without fuss, and is a very efficient, loyal engine. He takes tremendous pride in the responsibilities bestowed upon him, particularly in his role of running his own branch line with Oliver, sometimes known as the "Little Western" as a result. Duck is cheerful, busy, and tends to bustle about. He is very proud of his noble Great Western heritage, often claiming that "there are two ways of doing things: the Great Western way, or the wrong way", occasionally to the frustration of other engines. Duck is often welcoming of newcomers, even most Diesels, in spite of having lies told about him by devious Diesel not long after his arrival. He will often support the underdog, stick up for his friends, and help others see the error of their ways. He has earned the respect of the bigger engines and has firm friendships with Edward, Percy, Oliver, BoCo, and the Scottish twins.
Duck is a Great Western Railway 57xx 0-6-0PT with added sand boxes.
Duck is painted GWR green with red lining and black wheels. He has a plaque with the number 5741 on his cab, and "GWR" printed in yellow on either sides of his tanks.
Adventures on Rails
- Season 11 - Duck the Great Western Engine and Dennis' Visit.
- Season 12 - Diesel Does it Again, Bowled Out, and Centenary of the Skarloey Railway.
- Season 13 - Edward's Exploit, Tenders for Henry, Enterprising Engines Part 1, Resource and Sagacity, Toad Stands By, Bulgy, and New Friends, Old Enemies.
- Season 14 - Edward to the Rescue (cameo), and Dirty Tricks (cameo)
- Season 15 - Donald and the Lost Tarpulin, Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (cameo) and The Fireworks Display.
- Season 16 - Dodger and the Avalanche (cameo), Edward and Rocky, Bert's Troublesome Day and Henry and the Express.
- Season 17 - The Three Little Engines Part 3, The Football Special (cameo), Wildfire (cameo), and Best Dressed Engine (cameo).
- Season 18 - James Goes Foreign.
- Season 19 - The Spirit of Christmas, Middle Engines, and Stepney's Visit (non-speaking role).
- Season 20 - Home Coming, An Ordinary Day on Edward's Branch Line (non-speaking role) and Ceremonium.
- James and Percy
- The Escape Plan
- The Hurricane
- Thomas and the Avalanche
- Very Famous Engines (mentioned)
- That's What Friends Are for (non-speaking role)
- Best Engines Ever
- You Lucky Engine
- Visiting Engines
The New Adventures on Rails
- Volume one - Oily in the Morning (mentioned), Garage Sale (does not speak), The Fire, High Tide, Blown Away, Nose-diving, and Jessie and the Frozen Points.
- Volume two - Gordon's Last Run, Daisy and the Milk (does not speak), New Livery, Daisy, Ryan, and the Cows (does not speak), Quarantine, Snow Rescue, Duck, Henry and the Tenders and Christmas Help.
- Volume three - The Re-opening (does not speak), Banker Engine, Pilot Engines, Help Wanted, The Queue, The Trouble with Ballast Trucks, Responsibilities.
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Paxton Gets Pranked, Daisy the Green-Eyed Railcar, The "Special" Visitors (cameo), The Joke's on Them, One of the Family (does not speak), Brake Van Bother (cameo), and Terence, Max and Monty (mentioned)
- Season 2 - BoCo’s Boxcab Bother (cameo), Rosie Takes Over (does not speak), Daisy Does it All, Henry Knows Best (does not speak; flashback), and Diesel's Good Deed
- Thomas' Wonderful Life (cameo)
- Season 1 - Which Way?
- Season 2 - Diesel's Redemption, Small Tales (mentioned), The Cursed Brake Van (does not speak), Crane Chaos, Merlin’s Story, and Interrogation (mentioned)
- Season 1 - Duck in the Water Again, Ask Cranky Day, Hector Takes Charge, and Diesel and the Duck Engine
- Season 2 - Diesel of Change and Famous Little Engine (cameo)
- Specials - Attack of the Philips
PH's Railway Videos Series 1
- Unlike most characters in the Railway Series, Duck's number was real. The engine possessing this number was scrapped in 1958.
- Duck has sand boxes, whilst most of his class doesn't.