Butch is a breakdown vehicle.
Scammel tank recovery vehicle
Butch was first seen towing in Lorry 2 to Brendam Docks. A long time later, he was fitted with a magnet, but did not listen to Victor's advice on how to use it and became stuck to Thomas. They returned to the Steamworks and Victor helped them get unstuck. Butch is now part of the Sodor Search and Rescue Team and resides at the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre.
Butch is serious about his job and loves working, especially with his railway friends. Despite his size, Butch has a kind heart and is always ready when his service is needed.
Butch is painted yellow with a navy flatbed and "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit" written on both sides in white. Since the opening of the Sodor Search and Rescue Centre, he has the logo of said establishment on his cab doors.
- Season 1 - Where's BoCo? (cameo) and Butch's Chase
- Season 2 - Runaway Coaches and Bluebells Forever (cameo)
- Season 3 - Jack and Alfie Swap (does not speak), Mavis and the Track Repairs (cameo), and Derek Comes Home (cameo)
- Season 4 - Thomas and Algy, Planes and Helicopters, Harold and the Climbers, Sea Rescue, and Trevor's Flat Tyre
- Season 5 - Butch's Snow Rescue and Nigel
- Season 6 - James Pulls the Royal Train (mentioned)
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Duncan in Love (does not speak), A Friend in Ferdinand (cameo) and Terence, Max and Monty
The Adventures on Sodor
- Season 1 - Harvey's Goods Train (cameo), Bill and Ben (cameo), and Tinsel on the Tracks
- Season 2 - Disappearing Diesel, Fire at Ffarquhar (cameo), and Jack and the Quack
- The Great Storm of Sodor (cameo)