League Island Crane
350-ton hammerhead crane
For many years, Big Mickey was a faceless, background character and would be seen working at various places on the Island of Sodor, most notably Knapford Harbour and sometimes at the scrap yard. He was eventually placed at Brendam Docks and continues to work there to this day.
Once, he was unloading a ship's boiler but he accidentally swung it too low and accidentally knocked Edward off the tracks, almost costing him his chance to take the brass band.
It wasn't until years later that Big Mickey gained a face and was properly introduced when he revealed to Cranky, Carly, Thomas, and Salty that he could speak. He also revealed the reason why he never spoke was because no bothered to speak to him. Now he, Cranky and Carly work alongside each other at the docks and work together as well.
Little was known about Big Mickey before he spoke, but once he did, he was shown to be nice and friendly and willing to work with other engines and machines.
Big Mickey is based on the 350-ton Hammerhead Crane. He most strongly resembles the US Navy's "League Island Crane" built in 1919 by the McMyler-Interstate Company for the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. At a height of 100 feet and a weight of 3,500 tons, it was the world's largest crane at the time. It was scrapped in 1996 following the yard's closure.
In the earliest seasons, Big Mickey had cool grey paintwork, but in the later seasons, he had warm grey paintwork.
Big Mickey is a large grey robot.
The NEW Railway Series
- Season 1 - Edward the Red Engine (does not speak) and Salty and The Troublesome Tankers (does not speak)
The Adventures on Sodor
- Season 1 - Geoffrey's Real (cameo), Tankers of Doom (cameo), Edward Tries His Best (cameo), Henry the Warrior (cameo), Harvey's Goods Train (cameo), Scottish Engines (cameo), Salty's Secret Story (cameo), Big Strong Murdoch (cameo), Bill and Ben (cameo), and Fergus and the Small Engines (cameo)
- Season 2 - Haunted Henry's Forest (cameo) and The New Controller (cameo)
- Thomas and the Storm (cameo)
- Season 2 - Artistic Spirit (cameo)
The Many Adventures on the Island of Sodor
- Season 1 - Double Diesel Trouble (cameo), Paxton Gets Pranked (cameo), Franklin the Forklift (cameo), and Franklin All Around Sodor (cameo)
- Season 2 - BoCo's Return (does not speak), BoCo’s Boxcab Bother (cameo), Bill and Ben's Big Mistake (cameo), and Henry Knows Best
- Thomas' Wonderful Life (cameo)
- Big Mickey is currently the only TUGS character to be referred to by their original name in Thomas & Friends.