Bertram is an old narrow gauge engine who works in the mine.
Bertram used to work in the mines with the other "little engines" in a remote part of Sodor. His fate was unknown to many after the mine's closure, and it was assumed he was left to rust. He remained at the mine until it was rediscovered years later.
Over time, he became legendary; many knowing of the "old warrior ghost" haunting the mine. However, Toby found him whilst watching over the quarry one night, and has since befriended him. He now works at the restored mines, taking passengers to the fairground within.
Bertram is an old engine who works at the restored mine taking passengers to the fairground that is at the mine. He is considered incredibly brave. When Toby first saw him, he thought Bertram was a ghost. Since they have met, Bertram and Toby have become good friends. If there are any ghosts there, they certainly make the place seem very happy.
In Sudrian Stories, Bertram is much more fleshed out as a Cockney-accented adventurer with a knack for storytelling. He is often the first to volunteer for exciting jobs, and often wishes he could explore beyond the island of Sodor, with his dream to visit the arid land of Australia, something the other engines think is a horrible idea. Dubbed 'The Old Warrior' by railway staff for unknown reasons, he would rather keep it a mystery. Since the other engines who worked on his line were all scrapped, and nearly all the staff have since passed, it's unlikely it will ever be revealed.
Bertram is painted dark brown with red lining and has two brown plaques on either side of his saddletank with his name written in gold.
- Season 1 - Sir Handel and the Ghost Engine and The Old Warrior
- Season 2 - Sea Stories (cameo), Rheneas and the Dinosaur, and Paul and Rusty
- Season 3 - The Fastest Engine in the Hills, Don't Be Late! (cameo), and Luke and the Christmas Party
- Season 4 - Harold and the Climbers
- Season 5 - Creepy Cutting (cameo)
The Adventures on Sodor
- Season 1 - Old and Wise (cameo), Dashing Duncan, Sir Handel and the Coal Mines, Skarloey Comes Home, and Rheneas' Risky Ride
- Season 2 - Trouble on the Line, The Return of Boulder (cameo), Duncan's Discovery, and The "Ghost" Warrior